Monday, December 2, 2013

"Traditions" have to start somewhere; 12 Days of Cookies "Sugar Cookies" Day 1

"Tradition"
~ the transmission of customs or beliefs from generation to generation, or the fact of being passed on in this way.
 
Maybe it was the taste of the Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Roll at Thanksgiving dinner.
  
Could it be the whetting of my "writer's appetite" when pulling out my half finished memoir for my GrUnk (Uncle who's great) to proofread during his and my Aunt Su Su's visit last week? 
 
Or perhaps- let's go back a little further- it was the Halloween candy.  After all, 3 kiddos, even "treat'ing a small amount, generates a mound when combined at the end of the night!

I'd like I'm going to think it's just honest-to-goodness, sincere excuse desire to consume sugar spend special time with my young'uns, making happy Christmas memories.  
 
 Regardless of "how" the idea originated, am thrilled it sally forth'ed  to the front of my mind two days ago!

 
 
Cookies
+
12 days somewhere in December
=
Family "doing".



And isn't that what it's all about, anyways? 
That's at least what this Wemmick family is all about; "doing together to STAY together"!
 
 
I hereby officially launch a new Wemmick family tradition:
12 Days of Cookies!!!
 
And what better way to start than making cookies with Grandmaw Janiceson??
 
Sugar wanted to take mySamuelson hunting
 
 so he dropped Mad & Punk off at Grandmaw's and spent the evening scoping out deer while the girls made the much-loved

hard to resist

finger-lickin' good

 
SUGAR COOKIES!!
 
 
 
    Soft Sugar Cookies 
     
      INGREDIENTS
     1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
1/2 cup oil (canola or vegetable oil)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar (powdered sugar)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
½ tsp baking soda

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, oil and both sugars.  Add the egg and vanilla, and mix until fluffy.  In a separate bowl, combine the flour, salt, cream of tartar and baking soda.  Add the flour mix to the butter mix, and stir until fluffy.
Let the dough rest in the fridge for about 30 minutes or longer. 

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray your cookie sheets with cooking spray.
When ready to bake, drop the batter by rounded tablespoon (I use a small scooper) onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.  Bake for 9-11 minutes, making sure not to let them brown.  Makes 18 cookies.
 
Crack-a-lackin' cookies!! :) 

5 comments:

  1. AND YOUR UNCLE is GREAT! I loved him! It was so nice he came by to see me.

    xoxo, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! love me, ;) and I loved meeting your Uncle! He's just the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is good stuff, Cleo! Keep it going! It's time to change the profile pictures of the kids, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay! You're back!!! Unbelievably, I just looked at your blog last night. I almost sent you a message to tell you your photos looked great, your stories were wonderful but where were your posts. I guess what they say is true. . . great minds think alike. 31 Days of cookies! Yay! I'm in!!! :) So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You are back! Unbelievably, I just looked at your blog last night. I almost sent you a message to tell you your photos looked great, your stories were wonderful but where were your posts. I guess what they say is true. . . great minds think alike. 31 Days of cookies! Yay! I'm in!!! :) So much fun!

    ReplyDelete

PLEASE remember:
"Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof." Proverbs 18:21
Take a moment and share some "life". :)